401

Dinesh Karthik Says, He Remained Confident About His Selection In India’s ICC World Cup 2019

New Delhi: Attributing his inclusion to consistent performances over the past two years, wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Karthik said that he remained confident about his selection in India’s ICC World Cup 2019 squad despite being dropped for the ODIs against Australia.

In an otherwise predictable squad, Karthik’s selection over the young Rishabh Pant became the talking point after the team was announced on Monday. Chief selector MSK Prasad said the more experienced Karthik was preferred over Pant because of his better wicket-keeping skills.

Now that the squad selection is over and done with, Karthik is a happy man and for the next one month, remains focused on captaining KKR in the IPL.

381

BCCI Announces 15-Member Squad For The ICC World Cup To Be Led By Virat Kohli

New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) panel of selectors announced the 15-member squad for the ICC World Cup to be led by Virat Kohli. Dinesh Karthik has been included in the squad as the back-up wicket-keeper in place of the widely tipped Rishabh Pant. Tamil Nadu all-rounder Vijay Shankar is also in the mix and is being considered for the number four slot.

The selectors have gone for KL Rahul as the back-up opener as chief selector MSK Prasad clearly mentioned during the press briefing that Rahul has been considered for the opener’s slot

“To begin with, KL Rahul will be reserve opener. If need arises the team management will take a call on him playing in the middle-order,” Prasad said.

341

22-Year-Old Nikhat Zareen Prepares Herself to Disrupt Reign of Sixth Time World Champion Mary Kom

New Delhi: Nikhat Zareen sweated her shadow work, watching herself in a large mirror. Punjabi music blared out from a bluetooth speaker. When Mohammed Ali Qamar, the Indian women’s boxing coach, asked the national campers to move from the boxing hall to the larger badminton arena at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Sports Complex in New Delhi, Nikhat plugged her earplugs into her phone and followed.

For the next 30 minutes the boxers warmed up, jogging and sprinting, and Nikhat, like Mary Kom, did it to the beat of her own music. If at 36, Mary Kom still rules her weight class, 22-year-old Nikhat has been building herself up to disrupt her reign.

The 51kg category is the hottest contest in women’s boxing in India. Mary won the sixth of her World Championship titles in New Delhi last year (45-48kg), and is gunning for yet another Olympic medal.

320

Sehwag Demands Ban On Dhoni For Captain Cool Losing Temper

New Delhi: Former India opener Virender Sehwag feels Mahendra Singh Dhoni was let off easily for his angry outburst on umpire Ulhas Gandhe and he should have been "banned for two to three games" to set a proper example. Dhoni was docked only 50 percent of his match fees for entering the field of play to confront Gandhe for backtracking on a waist high no-ball. He has been criticised by one and all but Sehwag is the first A list former India cricketer to demand suspension for his one-time teammate.

"I feel Dhoni was let off easy and should have been banned for at least 2-3 games. Because if he did this, tomorrow another captain can do the same. Then what is the value of an umpire," Sehwag, known for his straight talk, was quoted as saying by the 'Cricbuzz' website. Sehwag didn't mince words when he said that a fitting punishment would have set a precedent. "I feel he should have been banned for a few games by IPL to set an example. He should have stayed outside and instead have talked to the fourth umpire with the walkie talkie," Sehwag said. "I feel he shouldn't have come to the ground when there are two CSK members already and they were equally inquisitive regarding the no-ball," he opined.

301

Sindhu Survives A Scare Before Making The Semifinals But Saina Nehwal Thoroughly Outplayed

New Delhi: PV Sindhu survived a scare before making the semifinals but Saina Nehwal was thoroughly outplayed in her straight-game quarterfinal loss on a mixed day for India at the Singapore Open badminton tournament on Friday.

Sindhu, in fact, emerged as the lone survivor after India’s campaign in men’s singles was over following the ouster of Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma, and loss of mixed doubles Indian pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy later in the day.

Rio Games silver-winner Sindhu defeated world No.18 and 2017 BWF World Junior Championship bronze-medallist Cai Yanyan of China 21-13 17-21 21-14 to set up a meeting with former world champion Nozomi Okuhara.

Subcategories